Manufacturer of dining, living, home office and bedroom Furniture and Interior.

CHEAP TO CHIC: TO BE ANNOYED OR NOT TO BE ANNOYED? THAT IS THE QUESTION ABOUT A KNOCK OFF CHAIR!

Bedroom with a vintage Heywood Wakefield Penthouse dresser and a Philippe Starck Louis Ghost Armchair
My DWR purchased Philippe Starck designed Louis Ghost Armchair is placed next to a vintage Heywood Wakefield Penthouse dresser in the bedroom of my Hollywood Hills cottage (above)
Photo by Coco of Nbaynadamas

I won't even wax poetic about this one...

I am annoyed.

(or at least leaning toward the annoyed end of the mood spectrum)

I have two clear Design Within Reach (DWR)-purchased crystal Philippe Starck Louis Ghost Armchairs in my bedroom (as seen in these photos). I decided against upholstered armchairs in my room because my house is so small. I thought I was being extremely clever and space conscious by using see-through chairs which provide seating but give the illusion of taking up absolutely no space. I also liked the fact that the chairs came from the chic DWR store here on Beverly Blvd in Los Angeles.

Well, I don't feel clever anymore. When I got an email from Modern Dose saying they had a knock off at nearly half the price, my jaw nearly dropped onto my laptop computer.

Questions: Does a cheaper knock off take away the cache of my chairs? Does it make my chairs feel a little less special?

Thoughts?

I may have to dump mine or use them out on my deck now. So much for clever modernism...now that these chairs have been so perfectly knocked off, I may have to go back to staid traditionalism and find some unique upholstered chairs that cannot be knocked off!

To those of you who have wanted these chairs, but price was an issue...here you go...they are all yours. (Do I sound bitter? Not meant to be...really not bitter at all...really...not bitter...really...kind of...not really)

Close up of a Philippe Starck Louis Ghost Chair in a bedroom
DWR - Louis Ghost Armchair - $410 (My crystal clear polycarbonate Louis XV chair designed by Philippe Starck for Kartell (2002))(above)
Photo by Coco of Nbaynadamas


Knock off of the famous Philippe Starck Ghost Louis Chair from Modern Dose
Modern Dose - Louis Ghost Style Armchair - $265 (Acrylic knock off chair comes in transparent and other colors) (above)


P.S. Good for Modern Dose though for being smart enough to knock off and sell a chair that has become a new furniture classic. Must give Modern Dose props for that!
You have read this articlechairs / CHEAP TO CHIC / Nbaynadamas with the title CHEAP TO CHIC: TO BE ANNOYED OR NOT TO BE ANNOYED? THAT IS THE QUESTION ABOUT A KNOCK OFF CHAIR!. You can bookmark this page URL http://nbaynadamas.blogspot.com/2009/03/cheap-to-chic-to-be-annoyed-or-not-to.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Sunday, March 22, 2009

Comments "CHEAP TO CHIC: TO BE ANNOYED OR NOT TO BE ANNOYED? THAT IS THE QUESTION ABOUT A KNOCK OFF CHAIR!"

Post a Comment