Manufacturer of dining, living, home office and bedroom Furniture and Interior.

HOLIDAY WISH - BUILD IN TIME FOR BOOKS!

Living room with built in bookshelves full of books arranged by color, dark wood floor, white armchair with an ikat accent pillow and an upholstered blue ottoman with black legs, a sisal rug and a round wood table holding more books and a flower arrangement
Photo: Windsor Smith Room in a Box

Warning: Anyone in school, students for sure, do not read this post! It is a cautionary tale as to what has happened to one girl (me) after she entered the workplace and stopped reading...kind of like the story of the Grinch or Scrooge or something like that...so watch out...here goes...

Oh what I wouldn't do for an extra moment to curl up with a good book. In yesterday's post, I admitted that as of late, I don't have a moment to read words...I only look at pictures in books, newspapers and magazines...I go straight for the pictures...eeek. I used to read a lot and really enjoy it. I looked forward to burying myself in a wonderful novel...I even had favorite authors way back when. I enjoyed reading good long articles in Vanity Fair, Time (way back when they had long articles)...now I look at pictures in InTouch and US Weekly. Thank goodness I have a good education behind me...otherwise, my mind would officially be mush!

So my time for reading has been cut down to zero. I know. Terrible. Considering I come from a family where reading/academics has always been a priority. In fact, my inability to read got so bad that this weekend when my sister handed me an article from the L.A. Times (something to do with MOCA) and said, "Coco read this article...it is so interesting!", I looked at her like she was an alien of sorts. My eyes became as big as saucers and I thought, "Read?". Sis DS kept pushing the paper towards me while chatting on, "Oh this is the most interesting article. Really. Did you see it yet? You've got to read it. You won't believe what happened." My mother was watching this whole scene, I think amused as to what would take place next. I panicked a bit...What was my sister asking me here with this newspaper article...she's asking me to read...take the time out of my busy schedule to read something? What? What was she thinking? Where does one start when they read...the beginning...I assume? How long would this reading business take? Ahhhhhhh...yikes...help...I feel the walls and ceiling coming in on me...I can't read!!! Finally, I responded by pushing the newspaper back to her and saying, "Uhm just tell me what it says." Wow. It was at that moment that I realized I have really entered into a literary abyss. I don't know how to read anymore...my mind is always racing onto the next task, activity, function...I don't know how to read! HELP!!!!

Anyhooooo...need to just forget that I can't read for right now...it gives me too much anxiety...no time to read...am I losing my smarts...am I becoming a mush brain? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Never mind...back to pictures, pretty things and holiday wishes....la la la la. In all seriousness (or at least in partial seriousness), I do wish in some world that someone would give me a bit of time to read in the coming year...I also wish for some of these wonderful built-in bookshelves to house all of the wonderful books I will be reading...

Books at their best...built-in shelves that work...decorative and functional. I love a shelf that surrounds a doorway like the one in the Windsor Smith room above or shelving that takes up a whole wall...love love love!

Hence this post...my wish...a bit of time to curl up and read...not a lot of time...just a bit of time.

Living room with floor to ceiling built in bookshelf stuffed with books and a tv, a brown sofa, a coffee table made out of twigs with a glass top, wood floor, grey walls, and a powder blue Louis XIV chair with a red and white accent pillow
Photo: Eric Cohler

Dark wood writing desk with shelves full of books and trinkets
Photo: Anthony Cochran Design


Library with floor to ceiling bookshelf full of books, parquet wood tiling, two wing back armchairs, a Moroccan rug, and a coffee table with wood legs and a glass top
Photo: Selldorf Architects

Living room with built in bookshelf full of books, dark wood floor, white sofa and matching armchairs with purple accent pillows, a zebra print rug and two lamps with blue bases and white shades on round dark wood side tables
Photo: John Barman

What do you think of built-in shelves? Where would you most want a nook in your house to read? What have you read as of late? Any recommendations in case my wish for "time to read" comes true?

Happy Wednesday! Happy Holidays.

xo
Coco

P.S. Head over to my Nbaynadamas TWITTER to see a photo I took yesterday showing just a bit of the havoc the rain is causing in Los Angeles and So. Cal! I got caught in it yesterday a bit. If you live out here, stay safe and dry...if you live elsewhere in the country dealing with bad weather, the same goes to you. Tweet me and let me know if you plan to stay home...cozy...out of the rain and weather or if you have to be out in it! xo
You have read this articlebooks / built-in bookshelves / holiday / Nbaynadamas / shelf / shelves with the title HOLIDAY WISH - BUILD IN TIME FOR BOOKS!. You can bookmark this page URL http://nbaynadamas.blogspot.com/2010/12/holiday-wish-build-in-time-for-books.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Comments "HOLIDAY WISH - BUILD IN TIME FOR BOOKS!"

Post a Comment