Manufacturer of dining, living, home office and bedroom Furniture and Interior.

DESIGNER DASH AT WESTWEEK!

Dining room with white coffered ceiling, dark paneled walls, blue velvet armchairs around a wood table, a grey velvet rug and a crystal chandelier
A Windsor Smith decorated gorgeous paneled dining room with a white ceiling - so elegant! (above)

To make a long story long...

So went to the WestWeek events last night. Los Angeles is buzzing with the design community...all here for a conference I think. Meanwhile, I really don't even know what WestWeek is but I was invited to a bunch of events so I just went after work.

Started off at a Brown & Jordan and Elle Decor invitation only cocktail party at the Pacific Design Center - the hub of WestWeek. I was invited to this party and actually printed out my invitation...but when I got there no one seemed to care and I walked right in (significant because of what happens at another showroom later). Right when I walked in, I ran into good friend Candice (she was one of my friends who came along to the NYIGF to help in my booth) - was fun to see a familiar friendly face.

While at that first little cocktail event, I also ran into FANTASTIC designer Windsor Smith. Should I wax on about how nice Windsor is? Every time I've chatted with her, she is just so friendly, warm, nice and charming. I adore her work and she is quite lovely too. She talked a bit about a showhouse she is organizing in Mandeville Canyon and shared with me some of her design philosophies. She is too cool really. She also introduced me to some nice people from the venerable textiles house Schumacher (I met the VP of Integrated Marketing and the lead designer)...ooohhh one day I would love for Schumacher to make Nbaynadamas fabrics! I dream.

Anyhoo...back to reality...then I popped into the James Perse furniture showroom party (couldn't tell if it was just outdoor furniture or if it was indoor...it looked nice though).

For my last Pacific Design Center stop, I went over to Janus et Cie where I was supposed to try to run into Candice and her friend again at another cocktail party. When I arrived at that door, I was immediately told I couldn't go into this reception in their front showroom. They said it was an invitation only reception and shooed me away. Another guy in a suit walked up to me after I was summarily rejected from the door and furtively said that if I wanted to go over to the back way I might get in there. It was at that moment I felt like a design interloper, design stalker...part of me was like "Ok, I'll just leave then"...the other part of me was like "Oh no...I'm getting into this soiree thingy!". So with Chanel purse slung across my chest like a messenger bag, I straightened my Prada coat (must brand name drop at this point...because at least if nothing else, I was dressed) and I marched in my Louboutin platform heels to the back door of the Janus et Cie party. I was let right in at the back door mind you. I guess I am a back door type of girl??? Bizarre...about 100 feet away they just said I could not get into the exclusive front showroom party, but when I went to the other door I could? Oh confusing. Dashed around looking for Candice and her friend...couldn't find them and left.

To confuse things even more, there was a second Janus et Cie space down the hall where there was another party so I went to go look for Candice and her friend there. When I trotted over to the second showroom...I was stopped at that door too (oh geez not again)...but this time I just said, "I'm Coco with Nbaynadamas...you know...the Nbaynadamas blog...a blog...oh but I have fabrics...but no I have a blog". I think they were so confused by my explanation that they just let me in. I was inches a way from begging and losing all of my dignity.

Once "in", some French man who makes furniture asked me for my number and then asked me if I wanted to come to his house in the Pacific Palisades. I said no to both. And then I ran into and introduced myself to the FABULOUS Ron Woodson of the amazing design team of Woodson & Rummerfeld. Oh Ron is just darling, quite dashing with a pocket square and all. He talked about a project he and his partner Jamie worked on for the Ritz Carlton downtown. Can't wait to see. In the distance while talking to Ron, I also waved to chic designer Oliver M. Furth who I know through friends. After my chat with Ron, I went off to get a drink (wine...I don't drink wine...but that is all they had at the Janus et Cie party that almost didn't let me in...grrrrr.....)...got my drink, found out via text that Candice had left the Pacific Design Center already to go to dinner, and then immediately left to head across town.

Black lacquer cabinet with white trim and brass fixtures
Woodson & Rummerfeld - Chasens Entertainment Center - $9800 (Designed by aforementioned Ron Woodson and Jamie Rummerfeld. Black lacquer cabinet with white trim and brass fixtures)(above)

Duvet covered with orange circles of varying thickness arranged in rows by Dwell Studio
Dwell Studio - Circles Persimmon Duvet - $150 (above)

So off to Sunset Blvd and Bar Marmont I went. I had been invited by the inspiring Dwell Studio to the party they were throwing with the delightful Rue Magazine. Party was in honor of the launch of Dwell founder Christine Lemieux's new book UNDECORATE and for the launch of Rue Magazine's 4th issue which is quite stunning I might add. So while at that little party, I had the pleasure of chatting with Christine Lemieux and her team who all gave me some great advice about where my booth should be at the New York Gift Fair in August. Then I said my hellos to the adorable Rue founders Crystal Gentillo and Ann Sage. Oh and they had champagne at this party (unlike the Janus et Cie thing...hee hee).

Page from Rue Magazine asking the founders of the magazine "What's Your Poison?"
From the pages of Rue Magazine's latest issue. Crystal and Anne mentioned above are on the top row. (above)

So that was my night. It was fun. Tonight there are more events...will keep you posted!

I think I made a long story even longer than it had to be...uh huh...that's the way I do it. (Note to self: In order to keep readers interested and engaged, cut out the babbling and cut to the chase in future posts...LOL!)

Happy Thursday y'all (I had two Nbaynadamas collection related conferences calls this morning at 6:30am and 7:30 am...both calls with people who had the loveliest of the Southern drawls and who live in the South...so now I want a Southern drawl...hence the y'all y'all...impressionable I am!)

Happy happy Thursday!

xo
Coco
You have read this articleNbaynadamas with the title DESIGNER DASH AT WESTWEEK!. You can bookmark this page URL http://nbaynadamas.blogspot.com/2011/03/designer-dash-at-westweek.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Thursday, March 24, 2011

Comments "DESIGNER DASH AT WESTWEEK!"

Post a Comment