Manufacturer of dining, living, home office and bedroom Furniture and Interior.

NEW ORLEANS - A FLOURISH OF IRON GATES, RAILINGS, FENCES AND TRIM IN THE GARDEN DISTRICT!

All photos in this post by Coco of Nbaynadamas
The Swiss Chalet House in the Garden District of New Orleans, Louisiana
"The Swiss Chalet House" in the Garden District of New Orleans, Louisiana (above and below)

The Swiss Chalet House in the Garden District of New Orleans, Louisiana

Okay...okay...I know...it has been over a week since I seriously blogged. I left Los Angeles with great pomp and fanfare...with a post written from the plane...one that alluded to "letting the good times roll" in New Orleans. I talked of lavish parties, chic clothes, fantastic shopping and reuniting with my best of friends (FF, AM, JH and their husbands and children) and my cuter than cute godson CGF.

That post deserved a comprehensive follow up post...in fact several follow up posts...with delightful pictures of New Orleans, the wonderful people, elegant spaces and charming places...

There is one problem...I had so much fun I forgot to take photos. I forgot to take photos...I have an interior design and decor blog....and I forgot to take photos!!!!! Oy.

The only photos I have from my trip to New Orleans are from Saturday, December 13th...when GH and I went on the Preservation Resource Center's Holiday Home Tour in the Garden District. I took a few random photos while walking the streets of the Garden District. I didn't even take photos of the homes I toured (even though GH bought our tour tickets and I think at first intended to go into the homes on tour...in reality, he spent the entire time on his Blackberry allegedly "working" as I went into the homes...hence the "I toured"...). Just a smattering of photos here and there...that's it...a smattering...I feel sick.

New Orleans was so overwhelmingly charming and lovely that it seems all of the charm and loveliness caused me to temporarily lose my mind...how could I, Ms. Coco of Nbaynadamas, only take a handful of photos for my design blog in one of the most architecturally interesting and design centric cities in the country?!?!

The photo black hole is haunting me as I think of all of the lovely things I saw that would have been perfect for Nbaynadamas....

Anyhooooo...I have got to get over it...I've got to. Let me rationalize here...I have photographs of the my amazing friends, new friends, and places all in my mind...good for me! (but not good for Nbaynadamas...note to self: rationalizing doesn't work)

Moving on...it was a beautiful day in the Garden District and here are the few photos I did take!

The Swiss Chalet House in the Garden District of New Orleans, Louisiana
"The Swiss Chalet House" in the Garden District was built in 1876 and designed by architect William Freret. It is over 6600 square feet and has an almost 2000 square foot unfinished third floor. It is on the market for $2,650,000. The house sits on the corner of Fourth and Coliseum. It has a pool, a ballroom with 14' ceilings, carved marble fireplace mantels and much more. I know all of this because we saw the for sale sign and immediately called the realtor to find out more.

The Swiss Chalet House in the Garden District of New Orleans, Louisiana
The Swiss Chalet House features intricate iron work trim, railings and balcony banisters (above)
Ornate iron work seems to be the rule for the exteriors of homes in the Garden District... a design element that adds formal French flare to the architecture, gardens and exterior design and decor. Below are photos of just a few homes and their ironwork (wish I had more).

Iron work in the Garden District of New Orleans, Louisiana

Iron work in the Garden District of New Orleans, Louisiana

Close up of iron work in the Garden District of New Orleans, Louisiana

Iron gate in the Garden District of New Orleans, Louisiana

Iron gate outside a classic home with a red brick walkway and white columns
An iron gate frames this classic home with a red brick walkway and white columns.

Iron fence in the Garden District in New Orleans

Iron fence in the Garden District in New Orleans

Iron fence in the Garden District in New Orleans
A light salmon pink colored mansion is surrounded by a formidable iron fence. (above)

Tile street markers on a sidewalk in New Orleans
P.S. While staying with CF and FF in their GORGEOUS home, the Wedding Cake House, on St. Charles Avenue...I asked FF if I could take a few photos of some of the marvelous marble floors she has had laid in her powder rooms and bathrooms. She said "yes"...even with an invitiation to take photos of FF's AMAZING design style...I still forgot to take pictures!

P.P.S. I will now be philosphical and a bit sappy...begin the piano and violins please...

In truth, I was so happy to see my best of friends FF, AM, JH; to see their wonderful husbands CF, JE and DH; was overly thrilled to hang out with my sweet godson CGF, and to see AM's darling son JE Jr.; also was delighted to share holiday cheers with friends DTB, FM (and her husband CM)...so happy to see good friends and family, that photos were not necessary.

This holiday in New Orleans...it was the design of an amazing group of people that made the weekend picture perfect.

All photos in this post by Coco of Nbaynadamas
You have read this articleexterior design / garden / Nbaynadamas / paint with the title NEW ORLEANS - A FLOURISH OF IRON GATES, RAILINGS, FENCES AND TRIM IN THE GARDEN DISTRICT!. You can bookmark this page URL http://nbaynadamas.blogspot.com/2008/12/new-orleans-flourish-of-iron-gates.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Saturday, December 20, 2008

Comments "NEW ORLEANS - A FLOURISH OF IRON GATES, RAILINGS, FENCES AND TRIM IN THE GARDEN DISTRICT!"

Post a Comment