Manufacturer of dining, living, home office and bedroom Furniture and Interior.

UGLY OR PRETTY?: WHEN METAL GARDEN PIGS FLY!

All photos in this post by Coco of Nbaynadamas
Reclaimed Metal Flying Pig from Smith and Hawken
Smith & Hawken, (310) 247-0737 - Reclaimed Metal Flying Pig, Large - on sale $207; regular $259 - (multicolor pig with wings made of scrap metal and steel from cars, rooftops and more found at salvage yard.) (above)

When pigs fly...and they are...really.

Was in Smith & Hawken in Beverly Hills the other day...ran to the store after work the day they announced they were going out of business and everything in the store was on sale. Was taking some photos of this and that...and then I came across these metal pigs...outdoor sculptures of sorts for a garden, yard, porch or deck (guess they could be used indoors too).

I immediately took a photo of the colorful sometimes rusty metal pigs. Within a flash, literally, I was "confronted" by one of the Smith & Hawken shop workers who said superciliously, "No pictures, store policy is no pictures." I responded incredulously, "Your going out of business." Still incredibily snooty, he replied, "It's store policy. No pictures. You'll have to put down the camera."

As I begrudgingly shoved my camera into my huge YSL Muse bag (why I was carrying such a huge purse I don't know) feeling like a perp who had been caught committing a serious crime, I thought to myself...isn't this ironic...the store is being closed because they can't sell stuff...and now that they are trying to sell stuff to close down, the store policy of not allowing people to take photos to post on blogs or send to their friends or loved ones to help encourage possible purchasing is contributing to the store not being able to sell stuff. Don't think I will be going back to Smith & Hawken. Plus the "sale" right now is only 20% off the original price of everything in the store...they were already having a 20% sale before the closing announcement...so it seems they are really not trying to liquidate. We'll see if things change over time.

Anyhoooooooo....had seen a few of these pigs before a few months ago, outside Bountiful Home in Venice Beach. I took pictures of them then too. I was kind of fascinated by these whimsical useless but interesting pieces.

I can't tell whether I love them or hate them. Whether they are design disasters or design delights.

I am still wondering..are they ugly or are they pretty? Can't tell...need help. What do you think?

Metal pig from Bountiful Home
Bountiful Home - Metal Pig - $385 (above)

Price tag on a metal pig from Bountiful Home

P.S. As an aside and speaking of pigs... so, I brought my silver Harry Allen "Bank in the form of a Pig" home from the office the other day for the first time. Check out what happened when my dog met the pig and then when the piggy bank began chasing him!

All photos in this post by Coco of Nbaynadamas
You have read this articlegarden / Nbaynadamas / UGLY OR PRETTY with the title UGLY OR PRETTY?: WHEN METAL GARDEN PIGS FLY!. You can bookmark this page URL http://nbaynadamas.blogspot.com/2009/07/ugly-or-pretty-when-metal-garden-pigs.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Sunday, July 12, 2009

Comments "UGLY OR PRETTY?: WHEN METAL GARDEN PIGS FLY!"

Post a Comment